Saturday 27 November 2010

Zilla


After constructing the last two characters, i had this impulse to construct a different kind of monster. I wanted to steer away from the cliches for a moment, and recreate something a bit more unique. One particular icon is recognized to be highly terrifying. I believe that this would fun task to make a cartoon styled and friendlier version, as Godzilla's original structure is pretty horrific. I decided to revert back to the old fashion structure, and added that enlarged bottom lip alongside the iconic eyes. I also kept the head larger than the rest of the body to contain my style. i also kept the traditional dinosaur like stance by adding the claws outstretched from the body, i also changed the shape of the hands and feet into claws to further represent his reptile features. I then added a spine from the top of his head to the tip of his tail, to further amplify the factor that he is a dinosaur monster. I now needed that funny side to him, he looked too simple next to my other characters. So to add that humorous factor, i decided to dress Zilla into a traditional men's kimono that is a popular garment to wear in Japan. Considering Godzilla is a Japanese creation, it felt right to add this touch to the concept. For the finishing touch i decided to also add some traditional Japanese sandals known as 'Setta', i think it is a good way to express Zilla's heritage this way and also to keep him looking fun.

Once the sketching was done, i repeated the stages as stated before with applying colour and tone. However, i had to think of what colour to make Zilla because i didn't want him to have the same colours as his traditional ancestor. It was then for the full cartoon affect, i made him red with a green spine. I did this because no animal really has those colours, so it makes the character look more cartoon like and less realistic. I really liked making Zilla, because it was fun adding those Japanese flavours to his structure. I think now he represents his individuality well, and joins the other two characters in my style successfully.


No comments:

Post a Comment